Monday, August 23, 2010

Advice on getting rid of a land line? Anyone else just use a cell?

We are thinking about getting rid of our land line but have a few concerns...


What about our internet through Embarq? Do we need a land line for that?


And Dish Network w/ DVR? What about that?


Any advice about going completely cell?Advice on getting rid of a land line? Anyone else just use a cell?
I have been using just a cellphone for many years now.





I had Dish Network, with DVR a few years ago and did not have it connected to a landline. Everything worked fine, but you cannot order pay per view from the box. I think you could order it online or call it in, but it was a $6 service charge, this may have changed. I cannot remember the model number, but you can test it by just disconnecting your line for a week or two and see that everything stays up and going.





I am not sure about Embarq DSL. I believe you can get just DSL from them, but it may vary from place to place.Advice on getting rid of a land line? Anyone else just use a cell?
I've been there, I've done that and I've wasted Three hundred dollars way too often.
Hi girlactor,





We still have both but I am about ready to dump the landline. Ours is $42 a month %26amp; we never use it.





The only drawback I know of is calling 911. In most areas they can not track the call to your house.





Norm
I only use a cell phone have forever Im 25 now and moved out at 15 so ten years only a cell. I still have cable, internet and everything else only thing is I dont pay ma bell
When I had Nextel, my land line got cut off due to weather. With Nextel, my calls were dropping though I had a full signal.





Currently, I have Verizon which is very reliable. Since my home number is on all of my resumes which are distributed around the world, and my DirecTV needs a landline to connect, I keep my landline but at the very lowest level with MCI.





Also, my cell battery drains very easily. I need a land line during a power outage, which happens frequently in Los Angeles.
You can go completly cell there is a way to access the internet via cell phones, it costs extra. Check with some cell phone co's. If you have cable, internet is easy, some co's offer cable phone connections as well. I have friends who have a land line just for internet. Hope this helps
Q: What about our internet through Embarq? Do we need a land line for that? And Dish Network w/ DVR? What about that?





A: If you have a DSL line they will need to route through your phone line...but Dish Network/DirecTV etc. use a different cable (coax) and are not effected by the phone line unless you order pay-per-views. No phone line needed.





Q: Any advice about going completely cell?





A: I think it's a good idea. Vonage would be great solution too if you have it available in your area. It doesn't connect thorough the normal phone cords (uses cable via the internet) and it's only $25 bucks a month for unlimited calls.

No comments:

Post a Comment